Do you consider yourself to be an expert when it comes to choosing the best big barrel bat? Chances are you are going to answer no. You are here because you want to know more about it. You want to know how you can buy the best big barrel bat for yourself. One of the things that need to be clarified is that “big barrel bat” also refers to “senior league” bat. This means that if you come across any of the two, they refer to the same thing.
**Below, you'll find our more detailed reviews, but you can also click the links above to see current prices or read customer reviews on Amazon.
More Details To Know About Big Barrel Bat
If in case you are not too familiar with it, the big barrel bat is an option available to those who are still in high school. This is the type of bat you want to have when you are a powerful hitter. A lot of the bats that are available to the youth have a bigger weight difference with bats used in professional leagues. Big barrel bats are in the middle of the weight division so transitioning to professional bats can be easier to do.
Some Rules Regarding The Use Of Big Barrel Bat
Through the name of the bat, you may assume that this is the type of bat that can be used for little league but this is not true. It is a good idea to get to know the division first before purchasing a big barrel bat. The big barrel bat is allowed in Intermediate Division and Junior League but there are some exceptions too. It is best to ask first before purchasing a big barrel bat so it will not be a waste.
Types Of Youth Big Barrel Bats
There are two main types of youth big barrel bats namely one piece and two piece.
One piece big barrel bats are made out of the same material all throughout. This means that this bat is a stiffer bat because it is one big piece. I would recommend this to those who can hit powerfully. If you do not like flexible bats, this is the right one for you.
Two piece big barrel bats are named as such because the material of the bat itself is different from the handle of the bat. The handle and the bat itself are affixed together to make it usable. Two piece bats are highly flexible.
Kinds Of Youth Big Barrel Bats
No matter whether you are going to choose one piece of two piece big barrel bats, you can expect that there are different kinds available namely:
Let us discuss each one in detail.
Composite big barrel bats are made out of a mixture usually of carbon fiber, fiberglass and graphite. There are times when kevlar is also used to make this bat. While this may seem like a nice bat to have, some leagues do not allow this bat so make sure that you will qualify the rules before you purchase your own.
Alloy big barrel bats are made out of aluminum and sometimes a mixture of other metals. This is the usual variety used for one piece big barrel bats. The barrel walls of alloy bats are usually thinner which makes them highly responsive.
Hybrid big barrel bats are usually a mixture of the two. The handles are usually made out of alloy to make them lighter while the body of the big barrel bat is made out of aluminum and other metals. This is normally the composition of two piece big barrel bats.
Some Tips In Selecting The Right Big Barrel Bat
Trying to check out the selection of big barrel bats can be complicated. There are so many bats available and they all seem to offer the same thing. A bat that works well for someone you know may not too well for you. I learned about this when I tried purchasing the same big barrel bat for my two children. It worked well for my eldest but not for my youngest. From then on, I searched for more information about how to choose the right big barrel bat and what I have learned, I will now share with you.
- Choose depending on your weight and height - The right big barrel bat for you will depend on your current weight and height. This means that the big barrel bat of your teammate may not be the best choice for you especially if you are totally different when it comes to size.
- Choose metal - If you are a newbie in using a big barrel bat, you want a bat that is easier to control and a metal bat is lighter than a wooden bat.
- Know if your bat is too heavy - You will know if your bat is too heavy if you can barely carry it and swing it. Basically, if you put your arms out carrying the bat and the weight of the bat pulls your arms toward the ground, it is too heavy.
- Rules and regulations differ - Depending on the league that you are joining, there are differences in rules and regulations. Get to know these differences ahead of time in order to make the right choice.
Top 5 Best Big Barrel Bats Reviews
Of course, there are some big barrel bats that are considered to be better than most. Get to know these give big barrel bats. One of these may be the best one for you.
It does help that the brand has been around for quite a long time. They have always produced quality bats so this one will not come as a surprise. This big barrel bat is made out of C1C composite. This can make the strength of the bat stronger than other bats. It helps that this is lightweight too.
- More Distanced Hits - Since the balls usually jump off the bat whenever there are some hits, you can expect the balls to go far.
- Lightweight - Since this is made out of composite, this is lightweight as compared to other big barrel bats. This makes the weight perfect for my child to bring.
- Great Pop - The bat has a rather large sweet spot that players can take advantage of every time that this is used. The pop cannot be denied as well.
- Not For All Weather - If you would try to use this during cold weather, it might just break in half because of the materials used.
This is a one piece bat made out of alloy that is meant to be used for its speed. You can expect that this bat will allow balls to be hit in a fast manner. It also helps that the barrel is big which makes it easy to grip by the youth.
- Grip Feels Good - Unlike other bats that would feel unnatural when you are holding the bat in your hands, this bat has a nice grip. My eldest always says that this feels right when he holds it.
- Improved Hits - If your main goal is to help improve your hits then this bat may provide the type of training that you need.
- Great Price - Unlike other bats that cost a lot of money, the price that you need to pay for this bat is just right for what you are going to get.
- May Start to Get Cracks - Depending on how often this is used, there are cracks that may start to appear on various parts of the bat after a few months of continuous use.
This composite big barrel bat can be different enough that it gives users the type of help that they need. This can give the user undeniable speed because it is lightweight but at the same time, it can give strength because of its big barrel. My youngest child has used this for a certain period of time and it gave him a lot of memorable hits.
- Massive Sweet Spot - This cannot be denied with this bat. The sweet spot is so massive that hitting the ball correctly will not be a problem.
- No Need to Break In - Unlike other bats that would require a few times of breaking in before the bat can be used well, this bat does no require this at all. It can be used right out of the box.
- Perfect Balance - This may be longer than the other typical big barrel bats but it cannot be denied that this is just perfect to be used because it is well balanced.
- May Be Surprising for Non Composite Bat Users - If you have never used composite bats before, the use of this bat may be an issue since you are not used to it. It may sting a bit especially when the ball hits the handle but you will know how to use it after some time.
When this bat was first released in the market, a lot of people said that this is one of the best bats that they have tried. This aluminum bat is different from the others because of the anti vibration technology that has made it fuss free to use for different individuals. This can take the player’s mind off the discomfort brought about by the vibration and focus more on hitting the ball.
- Pop Right Out of the Box - A lot of bats would need breaking in before they can be used but this bat can be used immediately and will give excellent results immediately too.
- Soft Touch Grip - Holding on this bat will not be a problem because the feel would seem natural.
- Ring Free Barrel Technology - This means that the performance of this bat is far greater as compared to other bats. The sweet spot is also generally bigger so hitting the ball will not be too hard.
- Pricey - The technology of this bat has made this more expensive than other big barrel bats that you can see but a lot of users say that it is worth it. I have to agree with that because it will be hard to find another bat like this.
The light swing weight is one of the things that you will notice with this big barrel bat immediately. The walls may be thinner but the durability will remain to be the same. The updated design of this big barrel bat makes it easier to use.
- Good Grip - Even young kids who may find this bat too heavy for them will be able to use this well but of course, using a bat that is far too heavy is not recommended.
- No Dents - Using this continuously for a few months will still keep the bat in good condition.
- Great Pop - When you use this, you can tell that the pop is great because it will be easy to hit balls without having to make a lot of effort.
- Heavyweight - This is far heavier than other big barrel bats so this may be heavy for your youngster as well.
All of these big barrel bats are amazing and will be worth checking out but probably the best one out of the five is Louisville Slugger SLCT152 Senior 2015 League Catalyst Barrel Baseball Bat. There are a lot of people who have used this bat and are happy with it. From its weight that is light to the great pop that you can get, this is one bat that you should not miss. Of course, it would still depend on you which one you think is the best. Take a look at the advantages and disadvantages of each one before you make a choice.